Interactive Scriptures 5
1 Corinthians 15:3-4
2 Nephi 9:7
7) Wherefore, it must needs be an infinite —save it should be an infinite atonement this corruption could not put on incorruption. Wherefore, the first judgment which came upon man must needs have remained to an endless duration. And if so, this flesh must have laid down to rot and to crumble to his mother earth, to rise no .
Doctrine and Covenants 19:18-19
18) Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every , and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and —
19) Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men.
Doctrine and Covenants 20:77
77) O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. .
John 17:3, 14, 20 -21
14) I have given them thy work; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
21) That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
John 18:33, 36-38
33) Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews?
36) Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should be delivered to the Jews: but now it my kingdom not from hence.
37) Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
Mosiah 3:5, 9
5) For behold, the time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the
Omnipotent who reigneth, who was, and is from all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay, and shall go forth amongst men, working mighty miracles, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, causing the lame to walk, the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and curing all manner of diseases.
9) And lo, he cometh unto his own, that might come unto the children of men even through faith on his name; and even after all this they shall consider him a man, and say that he hath a devil, and shall scourge him, and shall crucify him.
But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
Dallin H. Oaks
Meaning “to suffer the penalty for sins,” thus allowing people to be reconciled to God. Jesus Christ underwent the Atonement in the Garden of Gethsemane prior to the Crucifixion, by doing so atoning for the sins of the world. Jesus Christ was the only one capable of performing the Atonement for all mankind. Because of His Atonement, all people will be resurrected, and those who obey His gospel will be exalted.
M. Russell Ballard
And lo, he shall suffer temptations, and pain of body, hunger, thirst, and fatigue, even more than man can suffer, except it be unto death; for behold, blood cometh from every pore, so great shall be his anguish for the wickedness and the abominations of his people.
And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning.
D. Todd Christofferson
John M. Madsen
16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.
17 But whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do evil, and believe not in Christ, and deny him, and serve not God, then ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of the devil; for after this manner doth the devil work, for he persuadeth no man to do good, no, not one; neither do his angels; neither do they who subject themselves unto him.
Greek word meaning “agony.”
M. Russell Ballard
Russell M. Nelson
Feb 2, 1992
Russell M. Nelson